RE: [RC] Ethics of slaughter - time to go private? - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I’ll answer this question privately to Susan and anyone else that really wants to know, but we’re getting pretty far off the topic of endurance, (and I suspect if Steph were in town, she’d have reminded us of it by now) so maybe this thread should go private?

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: Susan [mailto:scswag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 5:03 PM
To: suendavid@xxxxxxx; 'Ridecamp'
Subject: RE: [RC] Ethics of slaughter..

Susan,

As a Vet would you eat an animal (any animal) that had not been raised to be eaten? With all of the past and current health issues with the cattle industry that “is” much regulated we still have our issues. Horses sent to slaughter that have not been fed a healthy diet or given any type of vaccinations I would think should not be eaten by anyone. Or do the slaughter houses separate “healthy” from unhealthy horses prior to slaughter.  If horses were raised for food following FDA / Organic requirements I can understand.

Susan