[RC] [RC] Dry Poop and Metamucil (pooped out on a ride) - Patti

Hi,
 I have another "stupid" question. We did a 50 at Santiam last Sat. We rode very, very Conservative and finish in 9 hrs. Scooter was slow to drink until the 1st vet check and after that drank pretty good and ate very well. On the last 12 mile stretch he pooped quite a bit and we finished at 4:44 with all A's and A- on gut sounds.
 Back at the trailer he is drinking and eating, peeing very well, just no poop. I walk him and let him graze. He is very content, and lays down and sleeps most of the night. I on the other hand am watching him like a hawk and he dosent poop until about 3:00 am. He does make about 4 piles by around 7 am. and all is well.
 4 hr trailer ride home sunday and no poop in trailer. Get home and he eats and drinks and is happy. Overnight only about 5 piles and they are very small and dry, same thing last night. I called my non endurance vet and he said it sounded like a hydration thing and he just needs to get caught back up. Said I could give him a stool softener.
 What do you all think? I have never had this problem before, usually right after a ride it might be a few hrs before he is pooping normal again but not like this. Has anyone ever given Metamucil to a horse? Is it safe and how much should I give? He is getting a beet pulp mash before rides and for a few days after the ride could I just add some Metamucil to this?
 He really does seem to feel good and is very content just the poop thing.
 Thanks, Tammy

Hi Tammy ~
Metamucil is made primarily from psyllium, just flavored and sweetened for the human palate. Metamucil or psyllium in the gut will draw in and retain water, which can be OK if he is drinking adequately.
Agree this might/could be a hydration issue, would suggest you check/observe the following to check his hydration:
  • Do a "skin pinch" test on his neck or chest (with his head towards you, as the vets do in the vet check) - if the skin stays "tented" for more than 3 seconds, he is likely dehydrated
  • Press his gums with a finger - it should blanch to white or light pink then refill to a normal pink within 3 seconds.
  • Check that his resting heart rate is normal for him and not 5-10 or more beats/minute higher than normal.
  • Monitor the amout of water he is drinking. At "thermoneutral" temperatures (41-68 degree F), he should be drinking approximately 8L of water per 100lbs of body weight, double that for hot weather. This translates to a minimum of 18 gallons of water/day (up to 36 gallons or more if it's hot) for a 1,000lb horse in moderate exercise. ( NRC 2007, p131)
If you have an auto waterer, you may have to turn it off and change to a tank to actually see how much he's drinking. If he's not drinking at least 18-20 gallons you don't want to give him metamucil or psyllium but to encourage his drinking. Is he getting at least 2 ounces of salt in his diet every day (that's almost 3 tablespoons)? He needs this much for "maintenance" and to trigger his thirst drive (and won't likely get enough from a salt block). Plus, if he "only" lost around 10lbs on the ride, he's down at least an extra 2 ounces of salt (24g of sodium). You can sprinkle salt on his hay, add some to a beet pulp "soup", offer him his favorite food as "soup" with some salt added. You can also offer a bucket of water with salt added. If he's not been getting extra salt, he may not like the taste right off. Also, if he's been getting a lot of potassium (usually pretty high in most forages or from elytes) his body may not recognize his salt need (his sodium would look "normal" on a blood test), which will then downregulate his thirst trigger.

I've also found that when a horse is not drinking, syringing plain water into his mouth will sometimes "turn the light on" and give him the idea. (You're not trying to syringe the water into him, just trying to induce him to drink.)

If he fails the "hydration checks" above and isn't drinking adequately, I wouldn't "wait and see" but call your vet and get him on tubed or IV fluids - it will be much cheaper than treating a colic.

Patti K
Vail AZ