Re: [RC] Strangles vacination-Beth Walker - Beth Walker

Hold on a bit, there. ?I probably mis-stated some things. ?I wasn't personally involved in the incident, and I never asked for details of how the horses were treated, so I can't say one way or the other whether they isolated horses or not, or what vaccination protocol was followed. ?BTW - this was a boarding facility, not a "ranch" ranch. ?:)

On the other hand, I **do** know that some horses in the place had already had strangles vaccine before this incident -- they had been vaccinated all along and were up to date -- and they still got strangles. ?The vets were not impressed with how the vaccine worked. ?Add the above-normal complications, and they decided to stop recommending it.

When my vet talked to me about it, he quoted a rather unimpressive percentage for protection -- can't remember exactly -- that he had gotten from the vaccine manufacturer.