Re: [RC] Strangles vaccine - Milroy Grosse

Spottedracer@xxxxxx wrote:
Took samples into lab with me - sure enough! Tons of Streptococcus showed up in the stain!

I don't doubt that your horses were sick, but as a biologist, did you take control samples in from horses that did not get the vaccine?  and were they negative for strep?  Did you ID the Strep as Strep equis, specifically?

If your horses were given a killed vaccine, then I doubt that the Strep was replicating.  And if transformation was such a common problem then I think that all vaccines would be more of a risk than a benefit.

It is more likely that the immune reaction to the vaccine was causing the problem and not the bacteria in the vaccine.  The fact that you had several horses affected could mean that the perhaps the batch was bad, the dose was incorrect or something.

I think that just like people deciding to get the flu vaccine or not, we need to weigh the risk and the benefit.  If you have horses coming and going all the time to show barns...the benefit of the vaccine are probably higher than the risk.  If you have horses that don't go anywhere then getting it may not be a good idea.

The question I have is what are the stats on the number of horses nation wide that get the vaccine and the number that have an adverse reaction........that was shown to be vaccine/immune response related, and NOT due to some contaminating something or another in the vaccine (which could be a different thing in every case).

Also, has the IM vaccine been replaced by a intra nasal vaccine...this would be more effective anyway, right?