[RC] Ray's anemia, red maple leaves - sherman

I’m posting this again, just in case someone with knowledge missed it…

The horse I’d planned on riding in Tevis, Ray, had been diagnosed with severe anemia 2 weeks before Tevis. His bloodwork shows he is not improving at all, although, also indicated a one-time event , so, he should be improving since that event (whatever it was) has long passed. I just remembered today that there are maple trees near his pasture. I told his owner that wilted maple leaves are known to cause anemia and he mentioned that he did see Ray grabbing a bite off the tree. Now, it’s supposed to be “wilted” leaves that causes problems, and these leaves were pulled right from the tree, so maybe that’s not it. Does anyone know if fresh leaves might cause a lesser problem than the wilted leaves.

He doesn’t have these other symptoms assoc. with maple leaf poisoning:

Symptoms most commonly seen in affected horses include, but are not limited to: lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain, brown mucous membranes, ataxia, colic, reddish-brown urine, an increased heart rate, fever, difficultly in breathing, abortion, weakness, and dehydration. Horses may show some or all of the symptoms and to various degrees depending upon the level of toxicity.

If we hadn’t been getting ready for Tevis, the anemia might not even have been detected. In the last two 30 mile rides that we did, he had some muscle trembling afterwards, along with being abnormally slow to recover.

Kathy