[RC] Girth sores - woolback - Sharon Hahn

I can't tell what's going on from your description, but it sounds like your girth is making rubs IN FRONT OF where it lies?  Is your guy round-barreled?  I tried  to use a center-fire rigged saddle on my well-sprung mare and couldn't figure how she got sores in her armpit. Turns out that when she extended at the trot, she would hit the girth with her armpit as her leg came back.  It was like she didn't have enough clearance for her leg if the girth was back by a wider part of her barrel.  For her, the girth has to be right up in her armpit where she is narrower.  Changing girths helped some, but the real issue was that the rigging on that saddle wasn't ideal for her body type.

I am trying to find a girth for my saddle that won't rub my horse behind the front leg.

I have always used a Toklat woolback girth and have never had any problems.

This new guy must have thin skin or something because even though the girth doesn't sit in that area

(standing it sits 4-6 inches from his front leg), he still got a pretty good size raw spot so the fuzzy

part of the woolback girth must irritate or rub him. I washed it again but it wasn't that dirty.

It's only on the left side. I need to keep him going but don't want him raw every time I ride him and

of course it gets bigger with more work. I would like a girth with an elastic end. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.
Sheri

Don Huston at cox dot net
SanDiego, Calif