[RC] Narrow trails on Tevis - Dawn Simas

The old trail before Cal Loop was above it and they rode further through town and alongside Foresthill Road, then traveled through what is now a developed area, then dropped down to the existing trail near Franciscos, the vet check then was above at White Oak Flat.  No, it didn't have the drop offs.  But it was necessary to bypass it due to development.  Wendell picked and built the Cal Loop trail.  Some already existed as a flume (it's the several miles of nice trotting with the old metal pipe alongside).

IMO, it's no worse than the Michigan Bluff to Last Chance trail, which has been there for 150 years.  We can't fix all of it.  Well, I suppose we *could*, but I can't say it would be "safer" in exchange for losing the historical aspect and doing away with Wendell's choices.  People die on bridal paths too...  Just the fact that this ride has been held for over 50 years, with hundreds of horses each year, and thousands that ride it the rest of the year, and nobody's died yet...  (knock on wood).

Ed, this section is not in the wilderness area and a trail machine is allowed.  As a matter of fact, they used the trail machine this summer to fix several miles near No Hands.  And also did most of Volcano Canyon.  Barbara, you'd love the Volcano Canyon section now.  :)

Tidbit:  I heard that they are working on designating the entire trail as a Historical Site with the Federal Register, right now only Michigan to Last Chance is so designated.

Saturday I am going to ride that section, both canyons, out and back in order to pull the ribbons (read:  stop horse, sidepass, drop reins, untie, ride on).  Yes, it's dangerous.  I only ride good horses.  The rest is up to my Maker.

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue