Re: [RC] Narrow trails at Tevis - Barbara McCrary

From the looks of the photos, it could be done.  My brother-in-law has built trail through solid rock walls, without blasting.  He has a trail machine and he used the backhoe portion, I think.  He has built trails around here with it.  Someone with a trail machine could do it, I'm sure.  Some of that terrain in the photos looks like it could be widened with a Pulaski, McLeod, and/or a pick.  Lots of distance, I agree, but I understand the California Loop was created with a trail machine, so where is it now when it is needed?
One of these days, someone is going to be killed, and I think the trail should be widened before that happens.
I know I would be terrified to even ride it at all, but then I'm very frightened of drop-offs.

Barbara

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 11:20 AM
Subject: [RC] Narrow trails at Tevis

Barbara McCrary:

> Better yet, why doesn't WSTF repair and widen the trail?  I wouldn't think
> it would diminish the difficulty and challenge a bit to make the trail safer in
> some of those treacherous spots.

Widening the trail might be easier said than done. These photos show
the section where I *think* Roger fell and there are places where they'd
have to blast through rock to improve it:

http://www.quacky.co.uk/%7eelsie/FH-Auburn-Tevis-preride/pages/IMG_8738.htm
http://www.quacky.co.uk/%7eelsie/FH-Auburn-Tevis-preride/pages/IMG_8766.htm

Can anyone who was on the ride confirm where it was?
Was it before Ford's Bar, or after?

This is the section before Ford's Bar:

http://www.quacky.co.uk/%7eelsie/FH-Auburn-Tevis-preride/pages/IMG_8730.htm
and
http://www.quacky.co.uk/%7eelsie/FH-Auburn-Tevis-preride/pages/IMG_8731.htm

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA