Re: [RC] [RC] Tevis video - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

heidi larson:

great videos Lucy - I watched a few of them listed - is it
common for the volunteers to pour water on the rear ends of
the horses?  I saw that in one clip and wondered?

No, not very common. The people attending to that particular horse
(the grey at Michigan Bluff?) were crew rather than volunteers, so I
imagine Tom Johnson specifically asked for the water to be poured on.
Not something you'd necessarily want normally, though.

The temperature was probably in the mid-90s at Michigan Bluff, so
there wasn't too much chance of cramping.

When they come into the town right there, they have literally *just*
come up a very long steep climb (from El Dorado Creek  at 1,700'
up to Michigan Bluff at 3,500' in about three miles).

You'll notice John Crandell and a helper splishing water on Sunny's
belly and back legs, while the Reynolds-es chose to strip tack and
completely rinse their horses down. The riders then had another easy
two miles to get to the next vet check, so I'm guessing they were trying
to cool the horses off as quickly as they could without stopping.

  Also,
nice to see the horses get to come up with the riders (top
ten horses anyway) and got to see Dr. Q trotting his Sugar
out!  In the Haggin trot outs, I really liked the way Diane
Johnson's horse moved the best, effortless looking.

Diane was very sweet with Sancja and she did show very well.
All the horses looked great this year.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA