Re: [RC] Melinsung Ranch, Malaysia - Steph Teeter

Malaysia is a young nation - it gained independence from Great Britain 50 years ago and has accomplished an incredible level of modernity in those years. I think it would be more fair to look at the current stats and situation in this country, than to base one's opinion on how it was several decades ago.

http://www.malaysia-wec.com/malaysia.html has some stats, and links to give you a quick glimpse.

There are a few other links worth going to if you really want to know how Malaysia compares to the rest of the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HDImap_spectrum2006.png - Human Development
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Image:GDP_PPP_per_capita_world_map_IMF_figures_year_2006%282%29.png - economic development
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:World_Bank_income_groups.png - per capita income

In case you need to figure out where Malaysia is:
http://www.malaysia-wec.com/malaysia.html - which also show the UNESCO 'Map of World Happiness' - where Malaysia ranks equally with USA.
map: http://www.asmmag.com/ASM/content/2006/ASM_035/ world_map_of_happiness.jpg

Regarding the abuse case in Sabah (on the island of Borneo) - based on reports and photos it seems horrific, no question about it. The important thing is what is being done to correct it. At this point I believe the state has stepped in. I understand that the King offered to take the horses and rehabilitate them. I don't know the status of that. I have ridden a few horses from this stable in 2005, 2006 - they were shipped over to events I attended so that there were enough horses for foreign guests to ride. I've also met the owners of the stable, and at no time did I have an indication of the situation - either from the condition of the horses (though they were on the thin side) or the nature of the owners. So - one never knows the entire story -

For those of you who don't know Malaysia, please don't judge the entire country by this one incident.

Steph