[RC] Passing of Raf Darget - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Ridecamp,

 Today we said goodbye to my old endurance horse, Raf Darget.  He was 25, and still had just as much presence as the first day I met him.  He was one of those horses, that you could take to a ride and always get a compliment on how pretty he was.  I have owned since he was 6, broke and trained him, and took him through a successful endurance career.  The old boy had over 2000 endurance miles, some wins, BC's and completed 6 out of 8 100 milers.  In fact, one year he did 4 100 milers in 4 months...completing them all.  He only was pulled in two 100 milers and one 50 miler.   When I retired him, he was 100% sound, and was until he was put down.  http://www.doublejoy.com/erol/Individual/HorseHistory.asp

Darget had a cancer tumor come up 2 years ago, it was removed, but he had it return in an ugly way.  I had the option to let him go longer, but I would risk the chance of him suffering.  I didn't want that.  So, this way,  he spent his last days in comfort, enjoying special foods like carrots and apples and the good part of the alfalfa hay....the leaves.

He was laid to rest next to my other special old guy...Petit Jets Shadow.  They haven't been together for over 15 years...they are now.  Between the two of them, they carried me over 7000 endurance miles.

He was a good little Buddy.

Jody