From: kramspott@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   stall rest
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:13:25 +0000

This is not necessarilly an endorsement but rather for information purposes. My new gelding had gotten kicked in the hock a few weeks back. Long story short it did end up being a bone chip.
I took him to Coosa Valley Equine in Alabama and folks I need to say it is a really really nice facility with great staff. The vet sat down with me reviewing the x-ray and answered every question thoroughly and patiently. They do 500 -600 orthopedic surgeries a year so they have experience. My guy is going to be as good as new I'm sure of it.

He has to be in his stall for 30 days. I can hand graze him 2x a day. If anyone has ideas regarding interesting and fresh ideas for keeping him happy while stall bound let me know. I have installed a couple fans, there is another horse keeping him company who is also recooperating. I plan on giving him plenty of attention and grooming but I am at the office all day then of course there is all night.

A radio might get drowned out by the fans.

Also, any books, articles or suggestions on how to bring him back to his endurance career over the next 6 months - year?? would be appreciated. He was in great shape prior to this injry and he is not yet 5 years old. I will follow the vets advice of course but you all have such a wealth of knowledge I would like as much info as possible.

Thank you to everyone who recommended I get x-rays/radiographs asap.

Kathy - SE