[RC] Carrie's loss - Bruce Weary DC

By now many of you know that Carrie Miracle lost her horse at Robie Park through a freak and tragic accident that required euthanization. There are no words that can truly console a loss of that magnitude and suddenness.
I have known Carrie for about 20 years, and have NEVER seen her without a smile on her face. She even mustered a mild one when I sought her out at the ride meeting to offer my condolences. She was courageous enough to accept the offer of another horse and enter the ride anyway. How many of us could dig deep enough to do something like that? Adding insult to injury, she was later kicked very hard at a vet check, and required medical attention, as well as withdrawal from the ride. A flat tire on the way home topped off her weekend. I would have become a clock tower sniper if all that had happened to me.
My grandfather died when I was young, and though I can't remember his voice, I carry vivid memories of things like the feel of his large pillowy hands, his whiskers against my young face, his permanent limp from an old farming accident, and the smell of his favorite licorice candy on his breath. I'm sure Carrie takes with her random memories like these of her horse, as well as specific events and achievements they enjoyed together. Every present moment is a potential memory. We should make the most of all of them.
Carrie, Dayna and I know we will see you on the trail again soon. There are so many levels to the meaning of "endurance." Bruce Weary