[RC] Cougar Rock Now & Then - jeanne pepper

The first time I rode over the rock was in 1980 at my first endurance race,which happened to be the Tevis...I know,don't ask! But at that time I was totally surprized by all the people standing on the rock ,watching,taking photos etc. to even pay much attention to the climb.I had trained my horse in preparation to jump up or go over anything I pointed him at & had a lifetime training in jumping that really helped me stay balanced & not interfere with my horse's forward movement.
The second time over the rock was 25 years later.This time I was surprized by how small the rock seemed but also it was much smoother surfaced with less "footholds" to use for traction.Again,my horse had been well-schooled to "go forward" up & over anything I presented to him & he is a natural climber so he never missed a beat heading up & over,even earned applause & cheering by the folks watching.The entire trail offers dangers & all you can do is to know your horse as well as you can & what he's capable of & give him the best preparation for responding to the challanges and go for it.Like jumping,you never look down..always forward to where you're going & throw your heart over.
Oh yeh,if i do Tevis again...I'll go over the rock.