[RC] Ride management - SandyDSA

Just a thought to ponder...when there is a change of ride management, while it is great to encourage the new RM - and they SHOULD be encouraged - on occasion there are comments that would lead one to believe the former RM was lousy or at least not up to par. Having been surreptitiously replaced a few years ago in my job by someone who ultimately train wrecked the thing, I have to say that it really hurt to hear those kinds of comments, as if the years I had dedicated were of no use whatsoever. I couldn't help but put myself in the shoes of former RMs who have new people running their rides, and while it is a relief to many of them to finally have someone take over the reins - no pun intended - talking about former RM work as if they are dead or don't read this kin d of makes me squirm in my chair. I guess I watched Bambi one too many times....can we be a little more sensitive to the years some people have put into making these events happen, even if they were not totally party-time events? Besides, some of these RMs hale from the time when people actually showed up for a ride prepared to feed and take care of their OWN horse, and not expecting a banquet in every vet check:). Shoot, I love the perks as much as anyone, but my first few seasons doing this - during which I frankly did not KNOW any better - I was without crew, and packed everything I needed myself - stupid me even tried to pack a little hay once. lol!

So...here's for ALL the "retired" RMs who set up events for someone ELSe to take over and manage - thanks to all of you for dedicating your time to a sport with no real thanks in it. God bless you - it is a tough job!