[RC] Caleb Update - Elizabeth Chase

Just an update on my big dude, Caleb. I also wanted to belatedly express my
appreciation for the helpful suggestions sent his way.

He is now able to do neutral lateral flexion to the left almost as much as I'd
like. Certainly enough for a one rein stop, it is certainly a voluntary
yielding on his part, and he will continue to improve.

NLF to the right, however, looks like he has a 2x12 for a neck. With a rusty
hinge about 4 inches behind his ear. Improvement over no flexion at all, and
iit feels like he is trying to yield.

Oh, I'm doing these exercises from the ground.

He looks like he has gained 50 to 75 pounds of the conservative 200 estimated
that he needs. His winter coat is soft and thick, and his eyes are brighter. A
chronic wound on his right hind fetlock seems to be finally healing up.

He has had his teeth done, by an excellent practitioner, Denny Lanham (or
Latham, I can't recall), and has ceased having little choking spells during
meals.

He is getting better at backing, and at self-managing his own feet.

Kewl story here.... his hooves hadn't been trimmed from April until I adopted
him the last week of Aug. At that time he had difficulty balancing on 3 legs
for more than a few strokes of the rasp. Couldn't get his foot up on the hoof
jack at all.

So, a couple of weeks ago, he is getting trimmed. No balance issues at all, and
when he had one front hoof on the jack with actice trimming... was comfortably
grazing the little bit of grass just on the other side of the other hoof. He
had no issues getting either hind hoof on the hoof jack... and it gave me an
idea of just how far those impossibly long legs of his could reach if he had a
mind toward it. Wow.

Next thing... his back and the top of hs neck. Terribly hollowed and atrophied
with the concurrent over development of the under-carriage muscles. Looked as
if he carried 80 percent of his weight on his forehand.

Well, with the Games initially, and now with putting those games to a Purpose,
Caleb is starting to improve his self-carriage.

I.ve hoarded some thoughts on what to do next for him, and I think I found some
savvy clues/arrows in the pile of SC DVDs I just biught fom Sherri... plus
older ones I'd paid full retail for. Thank you, Sherri, I'm happy to have
acquired them. It was worth having a stomach flu to be able to watch them all.

Awwright.... There were a number of horses on whom Linda demonstrated neck,
rib, and back issues ..... then discussed her thoughts on improvent in saddle
fit and riding. Well, every one of those horses made the first change shortly
after having the saddle and pads adjusted. After the rider remounted, the horse
seemed a bit confused, but shortly was able to visibly relax and carry itself
... improved.

I could go on, but the material is available. It is briefly in the level 2 kit,
and many SC DVDs.

So, we're gonna set up Cal as a little research project, and keep measurements
and photos. I need to decide a few standards to use for evaluation.

Lastly, I have a question for Pat Pareli, but have no idea of how to get the
question to him. He speaks of 'Chi' for the human.... but I'd love to learn his
thoughts on the horses' chi........ how might I accomplish this?

Thanks for listening, and for any suggestions.

Liz
MN
L1s

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time