Re: [RC] RC.RC:Europe vs AERC rules - rides2far

Dr. Nik,

I think people are still misunderstanding and assuming that if we don't
personally plan to have our horse come down within 30 min. My guess is
that everyone who has argued against this rule probably vets through
within 5 to 15 min 90% of the time and could do it closer to 99.9% if we
tried.  The point is that it is nice to not have to rush, be allowed to
walk in from a distant check or in general, just take your time if you
feel like it. It's nice, and good to have the option if you happen to be
sponsoring a tired junior or just want to clean the crud off your horse
before it dries. There are times, when it's very hot, and no shade when
the pulse may hover slightly above parameter and I can imagine a healthy
horse taking a minute or two over 30. It's uncommon, but I'd hate to see
someone with a horse the vets *felt was truly fit to continue* lose a
completion over one beat high and 2 min. over. If the vets feel the horse
is not fit to continue, they can always hold the completion.

We'd be perfectly happy to give up that bit of convenience if we believed
it was necessary for the vets to be able to improve safety rates. But we
don't feel that taking that 30 minutes of prep time will truly make a
difference in the final state of horses that finish. I cannot imagine
that a horse that had dangerously slow recoveries would not also have a
sufficient CRI jump to catch the attention of the vets...so why shorten
the time?

Finally, many rides I go to have 100-200 riders, probably 80% of whom are
just "getting around the course in no hurry". Are most of your
competitors racing there? I definately waste less time getting through
the vet check when I'm out to try and win something.

Angie McGhee