[RC] ponying horses/youngsters - Leah McGregor

Hey Dave good questions, and I think Angie covered almost everything that can and will happen. Successful ponying is a developed skill as timing is of the essesence. When we pony for the first time here, there are two of us mounted, the extra rider can keep the ponyed horse moving forward and deter some of the inappropiate behaviour ie balking, turning off etc. If you can get someone to come help you the first couple of times, it goes much quicker.
I would also say that we do not pony our horses before 2 -21/2 yrs of age. Remeber a ponied horse at any other speed than a walk, is going to have to trust where you are taking it, it will not be able to choose where it steps as easily as the other horse, they are still on young, developing legs.
Leah McGregor
www.hungarianhorse.com