Re: [RC] pulse rates/VC's/old way vs new - Joe Long

Truman Prevatt wrote:
I suspect this his more a matter of a statistical bias than any other factor. MD rides tend to mostly be in the arid and semi arid areas. Traditionally the pull rates for all rides are lower in those areas than they are in the areas with higher humidity. This is a case I think where your sample is not truly a random sample of the population more than any other factor.

Truman

I think this illustrates the wisdom of allowing ride managers and ride vets some flexibility, and not trying to cast all vet checks into one mold. I see this flexibility as one of the strengths of our system versus, say, the Australians.

Y'know, it's funny. Back when Frist rammed through the bill to outlaw Internet poker in the U.S., I was fuming (along with many others) on one of my poker groups about how the "Land of the Free" would be one of the only countries on earth where you could not play Internet poker in the privacy of your own home. I said it was symptomatic of the ongoing erosion of our freedoms, and I might emigrate to another country in search of freedom after I retire. I mentioned Australia as a possibility.

Well, I was quickly disabused about that -- people who'd lived there told me that Australia has a lot more regulation of people's private lives than the U.S. So I guess it's no surprise that they have a lot more regulation of endurance rides as well. It's consistent with their culture. Whether that provides any more safety for there horses, though, is another question (I don't know).

--
Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx