Re: [RC] Disclosing past health issues when selling horses - Barbara McCrary

I'm going to add to this. One horse I bought I simply could not live with. The owner-breeder-seller was kind enough to refund the purchase price. One horse I bought was sold without return privileges. Be sure to state this to your prospective buyer. I appreciate complete honesty when buying a horse, even if it's something I don't want to hear.

Barbara

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Cynthia LeDoux" <cledoux@xxxxxxx>; <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Disclosing past health issues when selling horses

My immediate reaction is "do to others as you would have them do to you." If the horse you are selling has a chronic lameness but is now sound, temporarily, you could sell him and the buyer might not suspect. I'm sure we have bought at least two horses that had chronic problems that weren't obvious at sale time, but certainly surfaced during endurance competition...repeatedly.
If you wouldn't like that to happen to you, then don't do it to someone else. I'm not suggesting that's what you have in mind, I'm just using this as an example. I would say tell the prospective buyer the basics...vaccination and worming routines, and if the horse had something else worth mentioning. I bought a horse once that had a bowed tendon, but it was old and hard and never gave him a bit of trouble while we had him. Splints aren't worth worrying about if they are healed and cold; same with windpuffs. But if the horse had had colic surgery, I would certainly mention that. I don't think it's necessary to mention that the horse had an abscess of the hoof two years ago.
Do what will leave you, the seller, with a clear conscience.

Barbara