[RC] Horse Death After Big Horn 100 Attempt - frank solano

I have been sitting here for days feeling awful about the death of the "little bay horse" after attempting the Big Horn 100.  I imagine those actually involved with the "little bay horse" feel even worse.  I understand that.

As many of you know, I love the Big Horn 100 trail.  It is truly a special place.  My heart goes out to the owner of the horse, the rider of the horse, those who tried to save the horse's life.  But, after reading the account/the chronology of the rapid declining of the horse's health, I discover that I have to ask the following questions:  Did the horse have a vet check after the rider opted to pull him due to lameness?  If so, was there anything remarkable about his metabolic condition?  That's it...no big shakes, just would like to know the answer to the two questions.....and, thank you.

I cast no aspersions on anyone but I find it hard to understand how a horse could die so many hours after trying the 100.  Perhaps there is something to be learned from what happened.  If there is nothing to be learned, only that 'horses die...sometimes in the pasture, sometimes at endurance rides', I guess that won't surprise me...seems to be where most of the questions end up after a horse dies either during or shortly after an endurance ride.

Frank Solano