[RC] Palos Verdes and Rushcreek - Steve Shaw

Since a number of people have asked me... and seemed interested....

People don't realize what great riding there is in Palos Verdes. We knew of nearly 50 miles of different trails. They are still there and you CAN find parking some places.... One day I even took "If" and went on all of the PV drives, circumventing the Peninsula (I was running and ponying him). There was a dirt path then on 80% of the drives. We used to run that every Sunday, 22 miles, while training for the Catalina Marathon. The one day I took the horse was VERY early and we got more than a few stares! Those were great trails in the interior. Nobody else on them, as I am sure the mountain bikers are nowdays. What great views, above the smog and normally cool riding weather. I only wish that I had bought property back then....... but spent all my extra money on Ride & Ties, endurance, horses and traveling....
I believe that Maryellen is living in the Reno area somewhere. Maybe Hiede knows.... I do believe that Ellis is still alive, I saw him once about six years ago. He was not bitter.
I liked the Rushcreek brand. It sure started a lot of conversations and helped me meet a lot of great people.
I don't miss the traffic of LA, but sure miss all of the times and people in those days. Our greatest thrill and events of the year was to go up to the Big Creek Rides and Ride and Ties. Maryellen got me drunk one afternoon, they said it was old orange juice, (I think Hiede helped) and then sold us a really rank RC horse. I came off that horse at least a dozen times, but that was how I met Aileen. She kept seeing this horse run back to the stable without a rider. I showed up soon, dirty, dusty and swearing. Here she was, dressed for work at UCLA, in high heels, shoveling shit out of her horse's stall. I couldn't help myself!!
Steve