[RC] The Real Rushcreek Horses - Steve Shaw

The person who put Rushcreek horses on the endurance map was Ellis Ruby. He was a vet and the ranch breeding manager. The distance to work cattle was so great and roads so bad that he needed horses that could trot for three hours, work cattle and then trot three hours back. He decided on Arabs and bred ones that were big and firm. Not dandies. I was fortunate to be able to have many conversations with him.

His sister was Maryellen Smith and Emmett Ross and I kept our first horses at her place in Palos Verdes. Hiede Siegel was her best friend and that was how I got to know Heide and how Heide got into endurance.... another story. Ellis would ship many of his horse culls (no cow in them) out to Maryellen to sell to those crazy Californians that do endurance and ride and tie. (They will pay how much for our culls??) Emmett and I got to have first pick of whatever came through. When Ellis came to visit we would have many interesting discussions at Maryellen's great dinners. Ellis said it took him 20 years to finally get the type of endurance into his horses that he needed. When he and his wife separated she got him kicked off the ranch and took over. That was over 15 years ago. I still have a lot of respect for the ranch and the brand, but they aren't the Rushcreek horses of yore. Remember Boyd Zontelli's great wins at Tevis? Those were the real Rushcreek horses.
BTW, I met my late wife (Aileen) up there at Maryellen's. What a fun and interesting time with many miles of trails to ride in Palos Verdes.
Steve Shaw