From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steph Teeter
Sent: July 16, 2007 1:37 PM
To: Nancy Mitts
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] AERC NC

Nancy - as an event manager, it largely comes down to finances - A
'Championship' level ride implies something a little special (IMO), and
therefore it is much more expensive to put on. There have to be enough ride
entries to pay the bills (in lieu of huge sponsors) and in order for there
to be enough ride entries it has to be a ride that riders are wanting to
take the time and $$ to travel to. And AERC 100 mile qualified entries are
not huge in number. An open division (or open FEI) division would basically
help draw riders and help pay the bills.

And here's where there are honest differences of opinion: Some feel that
having 'outside, foreign' riders makes an event more special, some feel that
it detracts from the AERC-ness of the event. I'm in the first category, but
I can understand how others feel differently.  I don't think the current
AERC wt division championship venue has the ROC style 'oomph' to draw a lot
of top riders, and opening it up, or offering different divisions (open, or
FEI, or
whatever) might help entice more entries, more competition.

just my opinion-

Steph