Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 6:43 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] coyote threat

Well, I have more than my share of them.  They are so bad at the house now, that Joni is not allowed to ride on the trails and fields in front of the house alone.  This is where we usually condition and she rides during the day while I'm at work.  But the coyotes are too visible and too brave.  You don't go back there in the daytime without seeing at least one, and she has had one grown one, that stood in the trail and growled at the horse.  Brego (the horse) was scared and didn't want to go past where the coyote had been.  She said that she can see and hear them running thru the woods on the side of the trail.  We have called some neighbors to come in and hunt them (we don't have time)...Joel has shot at some of them off the tractor, but missed.   Joel was afraid if she were to get dumped back there, that they might attack her.  So, she is riding in another field that is closer to the road and is totally open.

Jody

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The coyotes are also breeding with the Eastern Red Wolves that have been
reintroduced - which probably dooms the Eastern Red Wolf reintroduction
program. The half Eastern wolf and half coyotes has resulted in a half
wolf/half coyote that is not near as shy as the Eastern wolf.

I wonder where the coyotes have come from in the East. Back in the 60's
we never heard of coyotes in Western KY. When I lived in Maryland and
Virginia we never heard of them. I never saw them in the wild except in
the Rockies until the mid 80's when I saw on in Florida. The population
in the East has seemed to literally exploded. Of course the deer was
reintroduced in Western Kentucky about 1968 so I wonder if there might
be a correlation.

Truman

--

?It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how
smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong? Richard