RE: [RC] [RC] RC What Shoes Really Do - Ranelle Rubin

Amen Carolyn!

I have huge respect for those who can do our sport without steel shoes, and boot for endurance rides. I do have a bit of a concern for horses doing rides without any protection, but that is something I really don't want to address here.

What I do want to address is that we all need to keep an open mind and heart as to what others chose to do. I will be starting a filly for my boyfriend next fall, and she will likely always be barefoot, with boots for all riding. That is his chosen way of managing hooves. He trims his horses, and has the farrier out every 6-8 weeks to check/adjust/teach him what is working or not working.

I have emailed Karen Chaton about when to start this filly in boots, which boots to start with, sizing, etc..and will be learning myself about boots. I only use Easy Boots for emergency "flat tires" on the trail, and have a boot on my saddle at all times. It will be a learning experience that I am looking forward to. When it is time for boots for her before she goes out on the trail, she will have worn them running around her pasture to be sure they stay on. I am not the most patient person and don't want to spend my precious trail time %$#-ing with boots.

Point is, we all can learn from each other...and we are entitled to our opinion..and we all need to understand that there are so very many ways to accomplish the same thing....ride, really ride!

If I were closed minded about this issue, I would be missing out on a chance to start a fabulous filly (a DR Thunderbask dtr out of a Paint mare). I would also miss out on the opportunity to present my 230 lb boyfriend with a horse who has been started right, has developed the muscles to carry him and the mind to do the job...:) It is a gift I can't wait to present him with!

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant http://www.rrubinconsulting.com Independent Dynamite Distributor raneller@xxxxxxx

916-663-4140 home office
916-718-2427 cellular
916-848-3662 fax