[RC] NASTR 75 - Lucy Trumbull

Many thanks to David Jewkes and Connie Creech and their
crew for putting on the NASTR 30/50/75 ride this last weekend.
We had a blast!

I hadn't done this ride before and the trail was much different
to how I expected. Admittedly, the extra 25 mile loop added in
for the 75s was more or less *exactly* what I expected <g>
(next year, we do the 50 ;-)   ) but the rest of the trail was really
fun.

People complain about the rocks on this ride  - and there are
*rocks* (you ride about 40 miles in creek beds) - but we took
it on as a challenge and used the "trot 10' whenever you can"
system (remembering Becky Hart's talk at the AERC Convention)
and trolled along.

Both Roo and my friend's horse, Andy, were very relaxed and
paced nicely together, so we were able to keep up a gentle
100-mile trot so that none of us got totally worn out.

The sun beat down on the middle loops and we had some
"bleah" time while that was going on, but we all perked up
later in the afternoon as it cooled off and finished nice and
strong with a ride time of 14:30 (+ two hours of holds) at
9:30 pm right as it was getting dark. Yay! Doing a 75 was
a first for both me and Roo, so I'm very proud of my boy.

I still have to write up the story and post the 275 photos (...OK,
maybe I'll weed them a bit...), but suffice to say I learned a ton.
I got a new camera back in May (my old one was starting to
get temperamental) and the new one has video capability.
Wooo... talk about fun! So today I tweaked some of the
video footage I took of the ride and uploaded it to YouTube:

Enjoy!

(In front is my friend Dorothy with her home-bred gelding,
Andy, who is the son of her Tevis horse, Elly).

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California