Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:02 PM
Subject: [RC] [Endurance Riding: News] USEF Approves New Drug for Horses

[http://www.endurance.net/channels/2007/07/usef-approves-new-nsaid-equioxx.html]
The board of directors of the United States Equestrian Federation has approved the use of the new non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug Equioxx (firocoxib).

This new NSAID is the first cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1) sparing drug to be approved by the FDA for use in horses. The drug specifically targets cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), an enzyme responsible for causing inflammation and pain in the body, and spares COX-1, which is associated with many beneficial functions, including production of the protective mucous lining of the stomach.

Firocoxib is restricted to use outside competition until the rule allowing its use takes effect August 1, 2007.

[More ...]

--
Posted By Ridecamp to Endurance Riding: News at 7/03/2007 02:48:00 PM