RE: [RC] Feed question - Katrina Mosshammer

We feed our horses a mix of corn, oats, barley, alfalfa pellets and have fed that mix for over 15 years. The last 7 we have started giving beet pulp also. We don't feed any supplements or special feeds either. Our horses have done just fine with that.

Katrina

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barbara McCrary
Sent: July 03, 2007 1:22 PM
To: Mike Lewis; ridecamp
Subject: Re: [RC] Feed question

I belong to the "what does a horse need other than grass or good quality hay?" supporters.  If the horse starts to lose weight, feed more hay and maybe some extra...beet pulp, rice bran, oats?...
I just don't see where it is necessary to fill them full of "supplements."  If the feed is good quality, it most likely has all the necessary nutritional stuff.  I think supplements are a great way for the manufacturers to make money.  They've led us to believe that if we don't feed supplement XYZ, we are being cruel to our horses.  Horsefeathers!

Barbara