Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 7:28 AM
Subject: [RC] biodiesel and the new diesel engines...

After talking with the service departments of Ford, Chevy, Dodge & GMC - and being flat out TOLD that the '2007 and newer' diesel engines are only designed for the EPA-required low sulphur' diesel - and CANNOT run on the 'old diesel or Biodiesel without major problems'..... I'm Keeping my 'ol 99 Dodge diesel.. It's over 150K - which is just 'broke in' for a Cummings engine.. I bought the thing - primarily because Cummings are well-reputed to run until 500K before needing rebored/rebuilt..... Now, this said, the Transmissions Dodge uses - has the reputation of needing rebuild by 200K - but I figure a Trans is STILL cheaper than a Diesel engine.... So I decided on the Dodge - since Ford's have the opposite reputation - longlasting Transmissions, but Engines needing rebore/rebuild at 200K....

And my '99 Dodge gets 24-26mpg when not pulling - and 14.4-14.6mpg when at it's tow limit - pulling a fully loaded 5 horse slant w/sleeper.    My friend's Same year Ford gets 18-20mpg not pulling, 9-11mpg pulling the same load... Granted she DOES have much more power up mountain passes - bigger diesel engine.....

- LP (Dodge lover - married to a Ford lover...)