Re: [RC] beware of speeding bicyclists - Joe Long

    Just a reminder to all. Be wary of speeding
    bicylists!
    Yesterday, while riding through the Pike National
    Forest, here in Colorado, a man on a bicycle apeared
    right in front of me, speeding down the steep, single
    track trail and literally crashed into my horse,
    causing her to sidestep so quickly that I lost a
    stirrup and hit the ground hard. It knocked the wind
    out of me, broke ribs, and bruised my shoulder and
    hips. This guy picked up his bike, sarcasticly said
    "Thanks" and sped away down the hill, leaving me there
    on the ground! ...

Luckily most of them aren't like that. I was riding on the Sharptail trail in Colorado last weekend, up a switchbacking single-track, when a bicylist came around the bend ahead. I didn't know if he saw me through the trees so I called out to him, and he stopped. Then he told me two more were right behind him. He called out a warning as the second cyclist came around the switchback and stopped. Then the third guy came around and was unable to stop before running into the second -- so he dumped his bike off the trail. Luckily, he wasn't hurt. Once I was sure he was OK I thanked them, Sanshra and I passed and they went on their way. All very friendly. It's been my experience that most bikers will stop for you if they see you in time.

I did have a dirt-motorcylist once not only not stop, but almost ram Sanshra with his handlebar as he roared past us. Yes, there are a few jerks.

BTW, you may not be out of commission for as long as you think with cracked ribs. I broke a few once when Nykoss stepped in a hole at a fast canter and did an end-over-end. I was back riding in a couple of weeks.

-- Joe Long jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx