[RC] Part II - Toxic Blue Green Algae Blooms - Karen Lynd

Here is the contents of the e-mail I mentioned in Part I.  The author gave permission to cross-post.

Karen Lynd
___________
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:05 AM

Subject: Blue Green Algae Blooms Kill MI Dogs

On Monday, June 25, 2007 I took my healthy 9 month old Border Collie Vita

swimming at approximately 6:30 p.m. Vita and two other BC's spent about an hourand a half diving off the dock, chasing the Water Kong, and running around.  The temperature that day was just over 90 degrees, but none of the dogs looked particularly winded or hot.

Vita emerged from the water and looked as if she was going to vomit.  She threw up lake water three times. I wasn't't particularly concerned as she took in a lot of water from retrieving and swimming so much and had seen other dogs do that in the past without complications.

After the third time throwing up, she lay down and closed her eyes.  Her tongue was hanging out of her mouth and I began to suspect she may have heat stroke. I immediately placed ice on her stomach and checked her gums.  They were pink. I took her temperature which was 101.9, still  normal. I then called my Vet who said these conditions did not indicate heat stroke and said I needed to get emergency medical attention right away.

Vita was not responsive and when I picked her up to put her in the car she was limp and her eyes were still closed. Her breathing was slow and her heart was racing. I arrived at the emergency clinic only a half hour from the time she showed signs of distress. The ER Vet asked me what sorts of things Vita had been doing all day. I explained that she was crated as I was gone for the latter part of the afternoon and that upon coming home, the only other place she went was to the lake.

Vita's eyes were fixed and dilated and the Vet suggested there was already brain damage. After administering an IV and oxygen, the Vet called me in and said Vita was not responding and that it appeared that she was suffering from some kind of toxic poisoning. H er heart rate was 200. He mentioned that he had recently seen a couple of dogs who died from Blue Green Algae Toxicity. I told him that the lake had what appeared to be algae blooms on the surface of the water. Neither of the other two dogs showed any of the signs that Vita had and that neither dog took in as much water as Vita apparently did. We decided to put her on a ventilator overnight and give her a "chance" to pull through.

CONTINUED IN PART III