[RC] Fires and the environment - Spottedracer

We as a species, simply DON'T like an environment that we CAN'T control...  There is a thing called 'humus' - which is simply the buildup/accumulation of decomposing organic debris found in the Eastern Forests.

Why do I see 'in the Eastern Forests' ? Simply, that the Eastern Forests have naturally had the Rainfall, the microfauna, the macro fauna, soil structure, etc - developed through evolution since the last Ice-Age - to thrive in this environment.

The Western Forests developed differently. They DON'T have the regular moisture, the microfauna and macrofauna - suitable for a large amount of humus. They have adapted themselves for periodic 'wildfire cleanup' of organic debris. Many Species, Such as the Sequoya and Red Wood - HAVE to have FIRE to discharge their seeds to the ground. These trees also have the ability to survive normal forest fires due to their growth structure.

Previously, there were herbevores such as Buffalo, which did help to keep undergrowth in reasonable control - But, their populations were actually a fraction of the current Bovine population.. And unlike the Bovines - the Buffalo grazed a thousand+ mile migratory route - which HELPED the fauna through recovery. The way ranchers graze Bovine - does not allow this natural YEARLY thousand-mile migratory grazing pattern. So the Bovines are not providing the SAME service to the plants/ecollgical system that the Buffalo once did.

Humans simply hate the fact that we're building houses where NATURE prefers using wildfire as a 'debris cleanup' tactic. It's our OWN FAULT when we choose to live in areas that really weren't meant for a 'stable system'...

BTW - don't know if it's done in the same manner - but the 'selective loggers' around here - leave these HUGE piles of unwanted wood debri all through the woods. Which is a BIGGER fire risk - than the minimal undergrowth that once was there. And they only take the BIG trees, which opens the understory to the sunlight - then you get a hillside FULL of imprenetrable thorns and small trees.. An even bigger fire risk than what was originally there!

- LP