[RC] Re:Tahoe Fire-count your blessings.. - Ranelle Rubin

My best friend and riding partner for many years lives in South Lake Tahoe. Her husband is a fire captain and has battled this monster non stop since Sunday.

I was always amazed at their persistance at keeping their yard green..grass..moist flowerbeds..drip system..it was beautifu...no room for pine needles which were religiously raked up each year and composted.

Their house was one of the few on their street that survived.

She was out of the area down in the Carson Valley where Karen Chaton lives when she heard of the fire, had to rush up the hill, hook up her trailer and get her horses out..(boarded at a stable near the fire) They would not let her back into her house to get her dog..so she spent a frantic 24 hrs wondering about the fate of her trail buddy Cheyenne. A neighbor had noticed she was not home when the evacuation came, and went next door to grab her dog. She took her to the fire station, where the next day my friend was able to retrieve her...

It has been a rough week for her..worrying about her husband..has only been able to be in contact with him sporatically, and her dog, her home, her elderly mom who is with her down in the valley..

I did get an email from her last night saying they are fine, and heading to her favorite camping spot for a few days..she feels the need to get out of the way of her gracious hosts where they have been staying...

We are so blessed...these folks have been through alot.

The area that burned behind the homes was one of my favorite loops to ride...it will be years before it will be a nice ride again..

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx