[RC] What keeps me from riding - Hilyard

I'm not making rides again this year for three reasons, none of which have to do with the price of gas -

1.) My old endurance horse is grade 1 lame - most likely arthritis in the hip.  Doesn't appear in pain, but is unable to trot sound, takes a short stride with the left hind.

2.) My new endurance horse is green as grass, has trailer issues and basically needs at least an hour or two a day for life experience before I take her anywhere, which leads us to . . .

3.) I don't have enough time!  My current job entails me working every other weekend, and I just can't seem to prioritize the horses high enough to break through the demands of family and employment.  Since at the moment, with a barely broke horse and a damn near 47 year old body, riding is neither relaxing or easy, I can't even use my riding time to recharge.

It seems like it's only about twice a month that I'm not working, don't have a family obligation, and the weather isn't windy, wet, or over 90 degrees.  I can't afford a trainer I trust, so messing around with the mare a little at a time is the best I can do.  Sigh. There's always next year (for the ninth year in a row).

Laurie in Clare, MI

On a happier note, I just got enough hay for the winter for $25. per 4x5 round bale.  So there will be a next year!