[RC] 'to finish is to win' statement question? - Kearby, Kate G Civ 748 CBSG/IS

Anyone use this in CTR?  I was at a CTR recently where the breed awards had the ‘to finish is to win’ statement on them?

I was kind of upset, never heard of it used in CTR before.  I kind of think CTR should have a fairly hi finish rate, like nearly 99.9%.

And to me anyway, especially in CTR, winning is winning.  Feeling good about my accomplishments personally is a good thing even if I only ‘finish’

But that certainly is not winning?

Does AERC or anyone particularly own the ‘finish is to win’ moto?  I can’t remember but I thought it was part of a book?

Kate kearby