[RC] scary night - Juli Bechard

With all the talk right now about treating horses at endurance rides, and overriding horses, I was thinking this might be relevant.

I am the caretaker on a private hobby farm.  The owner has five horses, I have two.  They all live happily together in a 5 acre pasture with no grass currently, and unlimited hay.  We try to keep round rolls in there.  Last night about 6 pm, I took my dogs for a walk, and on the way out fed carrots to all seven horses over the fence. Everyone was happy and healthy. When we came back from our walk 30 minutes later, everyone was still happy and healthy and it was starting to rain. I went in, took care of the dogs, and came out to feed.  I walked over to the pasture, and Blaze, the 6 year old Kentucky Mountain Horse was rolling and rolling and rolling.  I grabbed his halter and went to go get him.  He was violently colicky, throwing himself down, kicking, biting his side, bucking, pawing, etc.  I got him up, yelled at my husband to call the vet and his owner in that order and started walking.  I managed to get banamine into him, but it didn’t help a thing.  We walked him for two hours in a bad thunder storm.

The vet arrived about 9 pm, drugged the heck out of him…which didn’t help the pain at all… and palpated him.  Yup, he had a twist.  That is possibly the scariest thing I’ve ever seen, and if no one minds, I don’t care to do it again.  The decision was made to send him to the vet school for surgery, so we had to find a gooseneck trailer to haul him in. The vet was afraid with as violent as he was that he’d hurt us in a bumper pull by causing it to jackknife.  So, we called one of my friends who said we could borrow her truck and trailer, and were about to load him up about midnight, when he threw himself down and rolled again, and actually untwisted himself.  He went down, rolled a couple of times, and laid there and groaned for a couple of minutes.  We couldn’t get him to stand back up. After about 10 minutes of pulling and beating and coercion, he stood up, lifted his tail and farted.  Then he wanted to eat grass.  We all just stared, including the vet.  She immediately palpated him again, and the twist had resolved itself.

Blaze is fine this morning, if a bit cranky that he can’t be out with the others eating hay, and only got bran mash for breakfast.  But I think he’s going to be just fine.  It just goes to show you though, this horse is ridden on a 1.5 hour walking trail ride maybe once a week.  It started raining last night, and he rolled.  And then he twisted.  Anything can happen at home in a pasture.  Or at a ride.  I personally won’t ever hesitate to have my horse treated, regardless of if it is at home in the pasture or tied to a tree in ridecamp.  If he needs, he needs it, and I don’t care what anyone thinks about me.

Juli and the Herd

Alpine (who is glad it wasn’t him last night)

Merlin (Me too….)