Re: [RC] [RC] May 2007 Veterinary newsletter - Truman Prevatt

I have a little over 210,000 ride records ('96 through '06) in my computer now crunching. IMO that biggest issue with the RO nonsense is as Kim points out. For decent statistical analysis to categories - and this always comes down to some hypothesis test - the categories have to be independent. That is if you have categories X and Y, no one result can lie in X or Y depending on the phase of the moon or some other arbitrary criteria which is not constant. The second condition is simple, any one result has to lie in one of the categories that is the categories account for all possible outcomes.

Our codes consist of: Finish, Complete, RO, RO-L, RO-M, M, L, Overtime, DQ, surface factors. It looks like just looking a few preliminary runs, there are not enough SF or DQ to consider them as independent categories - that is they are down in the noise in providing information about the sport. I suspect but am not sure that we will see some modulation of the M and L categories when the RO-L and RO-M came into effect, which would result from the non independence.

If in fact the pull codes are to gather reliable information that can be used to estimate the population parameters for endurance, then IMO we have way too many codes. A reduced set of Finish, Complete, M, L, overtime RO and Other would work just fine and give you crisper results in your analysis.

It seems like our codes are somewhat like how Harry Truman described the camel - a horse designed by committee.

Sometime in the not to distance future my machine should be crunching and I should have some numbers.

Truman