From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bruce
Weary DC
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:10 AM
To: Ridecamp@Endurance. Net
Subject: [RC] People and Horse Welfare

The following are my personal opinions only and do not
necessarily
represent the thoughts and opinions of the AERC officials
and committees
I serve with:
    As long as people are imperfect, we will have
challenges in always
putting the horse first, or legislating and enforcing rules
for their
protection. One of the greatest strengths (and, ultimately,
a weakness)
about people is our need to be right. As a doctor, I face
this tendency
every day. Who wants a doctor that's only right sometimes or
part of the
time? A good doctor has to be at least a little bit anal, in
that he has
to feel compelled to find the right answer as often as he
possibly can.
Lives depend on it.
In our personal lives, where the stakes aren't usually as
high, we
still correlate our "rightness" with our personal value,
self-esteem,
and how we think others view us. In other words, having our
fallibility
revealed to public view, can threaten us at our most basic
level--our
need to survive. I see it as similar to a herd of antelope
announcing to
a hungry pride of lions exactly who are the young, weak, old
and sickly
members of the herd. Naturally, we will  go to great lengths
to not be
exposed as wrong/vulnerable, so we do dumb things like deny
our horses
post-ride treatment, or try to get our records changed so as
not to mar
our horse's ride record. I think some folks regard being
pulled as a
reflection on their inability to be right in their judgement
and ability
to care for and ride their horse safely, and are unduly
embarrassed by
it. The truth is, bad things often happen to good horses and
good
riders, and we should all recognize this and accept it. Only
then can we
teach ourselves that our first instinct ought not to be to
stare
judgementally at the rider whose horse is undergoing
re-hydration
therapy, or trailered off to the nearest equine hospital,
but rather to
offer aid and support with comments like: "I've been there,
I know how
you feel." Or, "Chances are he'll be fine. Is there anything
I can do to
help make it easier on you?"
 Society at large is quite critical, with the media
constantly pouncing
on the mistakes and downfalls of others, like buzzards on
fresh
roadkill. This atmosphere has probably taught many of us to
keep our
guard up and to be less than revealing about our foibles and
mistakes.
But the pressure of trying to maintain an appearance of
flawlessness is
overwhelming, and, ultimately, unobtainable by anyone.
 It may take a little thick skin at first, but if we tell
ourselves as
we roll into basecamp that we are there to have fun and to
protect our
horse, no matter what that might entail, or how it might
look to others
who simply don't or won't understand, at the end of the day
our horse
will thank us for it. And, he will likely be around to usher
us down
many more trails in the days to come.
  Bruce Weary D.C. aka Dr Q

=-=-=-=-=