[RC] Oat hay, is this okay? / now what about wheat hay - sherman

I bought oat/wheat/barley in 2005, fed it and alfalfa (2 to 1 ratio). In 2006 I bought beardless wheat and fed it 2 to 1 with alfalfa. I do give the horses a daily mash of beet pulp, rice bran, a pound of oats, and I was also feeding flax seed, daily. The horses all did very well on it. They actually liked the 100% wheat better than the oat/wheat/barley, and they clean it up WAY better than straight oat. Some horses leave some stems, some don’t, but it wasn’t nearly as much waste as with oat hay. The farmer had done a nice job of putting it up and it does make a difference what was grown in the field the year before as to whether the horses find hay palatable.

Kathy

I bought a few bales of wheat hay for $6 here, but the vet told me it doesn't have much nutritional value so I needed to make sure and alternate it with alfalfa. I also feed a grain mix so I don't think it would be a big deal as long as i am feeding that too. Does anyone else know about wheat hay? I'm not sure if anyone around here sells the oat hay, but I am going to check.