[RC] rectangular hay bales vs round bales - mary

I like the idea of using round bales and did last year.  The feeder and the bales in storage  will totally out of the weather - no rain, snow, sun.  Instead of getting round bales to use in the feeder, could i throw several rectangular bales in the feeder and have it work, or would they waste all the hay?  Anyone have and ideas - opinions?  To keep this endurance related, with the rectangular bales I would have hay to take on rides.  I am tired of searching for regular bales in April, May, and June when everyone is out of hay.

- mary