[RC] e-rider in need near WSU - Broken Diamond Ranch

Neil & Liz Smallwood have been staying in hotel all week while their mare, Roxie, has been at WSU.

Neil was competing at Steph's ride Owyhee Canyonlands on May 27th when Neil's mare, Roxie, all of a sudden started breathing really rapidly and shallow and was loosing her balance.  The ride Vets were VERY concerned and had Neil & Liz rush Roxie to Idaho Equine ASAP where she stayed for two weeks baffling all the Veterinarians.  To find out what is wrong with Roxie they decided to haul her to WSU for more testing and a possible cat scan, if needed.

The fine staff at WSU think they have narrowed it down to her liver.  Today they are going to knock Roxie completely out to re-do a liver biopsy.  They tried two days ago and didn't get enough tissue to test so they are trying again.

Neil & Liz are running up a nasty bill at the local hotel and two vet hospitals....  I was wondering if there was anyone that lives close to WSU that might have an extra room for Neil & Liz to crash for a couple of nights.  Neil & Liz are GOOD people and would give the shirts off their backs for anyone or animal in need.

This mare is really special to Neil & Liz.  Neil had ever ridden when they bought two horses about 3 or 4 years ago.  Neil dove right in, head first to endurance riding.  His big pinto NSH has been really good for Neil to help him heel the loss of their daughter that was born with a heart defect and didn't make it.  After a few months of horse ownership, Neil said to me, "You know, I didn't think it would ever happen, but Roxie has been really good for me.  I don't wake up every morning with the first thought on my mind being the [loss] of my daughter.  Roxie has brought joy back into my life".  Horses are amazing, aren't they?

If you have room or know of anyone who does, please give me or Neil a call.  (Neil 208-860-4735  Liz 208-866-7007)

Thanks,

Sally Tarbet
208-890-8899