[RC] [RC] Its official! I am out of Hay! - Patti

Subject: [RC]   Its official! I am out of Hay!

I am out of hay so now I have to switch to a complete feed. I was wondering though. How do I know how much to Feed of the hay pellets? When there are no instructions on the bag?

Geckogal85

If the hay pellets are a similar type hay source as your hay was (i.e. both Bermuda or both Timothy) you can do a 1:1 (by weight) substitution.

If you were feeding a grass hay but the forage pellets are mixed alfalfa/Bermuda or alfalfa/Timothy, it's safest to start with 1lb pellets for each 1.5lbs of hay. You horse may feel he's being cheated but it's easy to overdo the calories and protein. Helps if you can feed smaller meals more frequently.

If your hay was an alfalfa mix but the pellets are straight "grass" hay base, you'll need to feed more pellets than you were feeding hay or add more beet pulp to make up the difference.
(example - if you were feeding 18lbs of mixed hay, you might feed 15lbs Bermuda or Timothy pellets and 3-5lbs (dry weight before soaking) beet pulp. Would defnitely rinse after soaking to get rid of excess sugar. If using unmollassed BP shreds, they can be fed dry or jut slightly moistened. Unmolassed beet pulp (or well rinsed) can safely substitute for up to 1/3 of the forage ration.

Straw is not a good "substitute" chewing option - often high in sugar and nitrates. If you're in mesquite country, mesquite branches can be a safe "chew toy" (my kids never seem to have problems with the stickers). One "wrist" size branch can last a couple of days. Depending on the type of turnout, watch out for "weeds" he might be inclined to browse. Many selenium accumulators horses would normally ignore start to look good when there's nothing else to chew plus the droughts seem to be causing higher selenium levels in some accumulator plants (as it forces the roots to grow deeper). Even clean untreated pine peeler posts can provide safe chew time when hay access is limited.

Patti K
Vail AZ

--
~ There are no Magic Bullets in Equine Nutrition ~
Desert Equine Balance