Re: [RC] tricksy horses, was De Elevator Rides - april

Several years ago my Skip had a loose shoe, so I got down and took it off. Then he limped so I got down and took the other front shoe off too. To this day he will fake a limp to see if he can get the rider to stop and dismount.
My husband was riding him when he had a big horsefly on his personals. Feeling simpathy for him, man to man, my husband got off and got rid of the horsefly. Hubby mounts back up and within 3 steps, Skip seems to have another fly, but he doesn't. My husband did get off to check. Every time my husband rides, Skip  will see if my husband will fall for the fly trick.
This horse has quite a sense of humor, last time we went horse camping, the campground had pipe stalls. Skip let himself out and went visiting in the am. After multiple foiled escape attempts later, he was tied in the stall. We are all around the fire and my friend says," ok, everybody look at aprils horse. "  Skips tail was where his head should have been, the stall was open. He was waiting for me to notice.
He has a whole list of "tricks" he pulls, because he enjoys it. He enjoys it. They are learned behaviour, not much different than a horse who crow hops because it has learned that if it does, no one will ride it. My friends just find my limping, cow kicking at the invisible fly, knot undoing, stall opening horse sooo funny.
Does he lie, yep !  He limped the first time because his shoe was loose. Now he does it because it gets a good response.
Anybody who needs a good belly laugh is welcome to come ride with us. :o)  He is only good for 12 miles but they are a darn good time.
He also does therapy work and when he is working, he IS WORKING. He is welcome IN several nursing homes. He must hold some kind of record for the number of boy scouts who have had their picture taken on him. He is the rock of gebralter when he is working. But on the trail with "mom" riding....  He takes his vaccation seriously, like a shriner at convention. Only the smart ones are tricksy you know.
april
byhalia