From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roger G.
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 1:43 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Panting and Interval training

Does Fartlek training teach a horse to pant? At what point do AERC vets express concern about panting?

I have been conditioning my horse using Interval /fartlek training in order to improve his heart rate recovery. I did a ride this weekend (the other sport) and his heart rate recovery was GREATLY improved. The problem I had was that he pants like crazy now.  His metabolic readings were consistently zero, but every P&R we got held for respiration, even though his heart rate dropped like a rock.  The heat /humidly index was very high

I know all of the things that affect the respiration rate, weight of rider, hair, heat humidity, etc. Not looking for advice on that, just on whether fartlek training has caused other horses to pant more. He didnt seem to pant much before I started the fartlet training.

At what point do AERC vets express concern about panting?

Regards, Roger