[RC] Mystery Gassy colics - sherman

I don’t know very much about colics, thankfully have rarely dealth with them. I did recently get a nice pic of 4 stones that were removed from a teenage Arab gelding. If anyone is interested in seeing these, email me & I’ll send them to you.

I talked to the owner about the symptoms her horse had prior to surgery. It started with going to feed in the am and the horse just not looking quite right, attitude a bit off, not as enthusiastic about breakfast, so she decided to hang around and watch awhile. After a bit, the horse sort of buckled in the rear, and spun around, then he’d camp out like he had to urinate, but didn’t. Vet came, gave banamine & tubed & palpated, couldn’t find anything, just said to watch the horse. About 1pm, behavior got very bad (I didn’t get a clarification on what this meant) & the horse was taken to UCDavis where they found the stones. One is the 7 pounds &  the size of a cantaloupe, 3 more are like apples.

The owner was told that these could have been there for years or months. I own a gelding that for 4 years was owned by the same previous owners, at the same time they owned this horse. My gelding started having slight colic problems late last summer. It makes me wonder what might be lurking inside….

Kathy