As long as you're subscribed, that should do it.

Cheers,

Lari

At 08:43 PM 6/10/2007 -0700, you wrote:
Thanks Lari,for getting Mary's address & situation out there.I'm gonna put together a "goodie basket" tomorrow of Mendocino treats to send her,Stacey told me yesterday that they hope to move her in 10 days to David & Dianne's home.Their  address is listed in the AERC directory.
Someday you need to clue me in on how to post on Ridecamp??!!I'm a subscriber but can't seem to post.
Ali & I are off to Cooley Ranch this weekend.No chanch you can make it ????p

Lari Shea <larishea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This amazingly kind lady sent some very important words of advice..... Lari

From: Patti <deserthorses@xxxxxxxxx>
To: larishea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Mary Wells;
From: Lari Shea < larishea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Mary Wells; update of injuries suffered at American River ride
With great sadness, I'm conveying information from Jeannie Pepper
regarding our mutual friend, Mary Wells, who was injured at the
beginning of the American River ride on April 28th.  As I understand
it, Mary's very controllable horse slipped on pavement and she
suffered a head injury, even though she was wearing a helmet.

Hi Lari ~

I don't "know" Mary but will send my support.

Just a comment as a nurse - the staff (from doctors to housekeepers) at hospitals and rehabs often lose sight of the patient as a "person" and totally focus on the current disability, yet this aspect is so very important to recovery.
I always encouraged my patients' families to bring in at least a couple of good (and good sized) pictures that reflect who the patient is - either in a favorite activity, with important people and animals in their lives, etc - and to label them clearly. It really helps to remind people that they are treating Mary - wife, mother, sister, active athlete and endurance rider, not just "a head injury". Even seriously injured people respond to being treated as a real person.
I also encouraged families to try to bring life's "normal events" to the patient - bringing in a movie/DVD they can sit and enjoy together like they might at home, a small family birthday party, bringing a pet to visit (Lynn K's horse visited her when she was in rehab). What would be the "activity" if the person was home and healthy - we'd then scale it to work in their room. Even if the patient was unable to respond appropriately at the time, we'd try to maintain "normal/familiar" voices, activities, cues.  Furloughs can be helpful - even if the family is not ready to provide the level of care needed full time, weekends at home can be helpful (little goes on in most rehabs on weekends anyway). A home care agency can provide the extra help (worth paying for even if they don't think they'll need the help) and the rehab nurses/therapists should be able to provide a list of any special "stuff" that might be needed. And Medicare will pay for "intermittent" home care - a nurse, physical and occupational therapists and an aid to help with showers (but not for "custodial" care) when Mary is ready to come home. The family often needs to be agressive to ensure she gets all that she's entitled to (especially as the medical community often has lower treatment standards for "elderly" patients - anyone over 60 : )

Didn't mean to get so wordy but I do get frustrated when I start with a new patient at home who really wasn't supported to the max while in rehab.

Patti K
Vail AZ

--

~ There are no Magic Bullets in Equine Nutrition ~
Desert Equine Balance

"What unites us all is a love of the out-of-doors, a spirit of adventure, and a passion for horses!"

Lari Shea                          http://www.horse-vacation.com
Ricochet Ridge Ranch    707-964-7669 ranch phone
24201 North Highway One 707-964-9669 home office ph/fax
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Riding Vacations on the Mendocino Coast with lodging at unique B&B Inns
                 International Riding Vacations