Re: [RC] Old Dominion - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Wow, you guys are on the ball. I'm barely back at the trailer and
word's out I got pulled. Serves me right for whining..and to vets! >g
Good they didn't have to deal with that urge to let me get to the
finish line and pull me. Honest though, she just went off. There
*was* that big incident where she did some dramatic rock whacking
with shoes while dancing in place, then stopped and stood stomping
one foot like she was in bees...but there were so many times during
the day that there were dramatic zip zip zips that there's no telling
what got her. She raised Cain after Jody & Joni left and dragged us
around the vet check till we had a pardner to ride in in the rescue
trailer (NICE rescue trailer by the way!)

I really shouldn't have called in from all those gap climbs today. It
just seemed funny at the time to be able to phone in from the crest
of all these famous gaps and check in..but you're not at your most
Diplomatic while tailing up the side of a mountain on a hot humid
day, so if I griped, sorry...if it makes you feel any better, I'm an
Angel next to Jody during competition. Nobody would have dared tap
her on the shoulder at the vet checks, we just poke her with a *long*
stick!

Amazingly few pulls. Really, I can say I've seen the trail now since
I did 76 or so miles and from what I understand all that is left is
gravel road and a 3 mile stretch of rocks & roots we rode this
morning. For the most part, it's just man made creek beds...trails
laid out like you dropped a line from the crest to the valley, then
ran a fire hose on them for...a few hundred years until you've to a
linear boulder slide. Switch back is not in their vocabulary. We
trotted over so many things that you just shouldn't that it's amazing
to me all the horses didn't manage to go down with us.  My favorite
part was the Shenandoah (sp?) river. That was really neat. There were
definitely some things I'd have done differently, but you can't come
in on an undertaking the size of this ride and understand what all
they have to deal with at first glance. (Maybe switchbacks are
illegal in VA;-)

The trail really was laid out in a do-able manner. I had plenty of
horse left and time to complete when she decided to do the Lassie
limp. Lots of gravel road between trips up and over the gaps.

Well, I'm going to send this before I lose connection. Tired, 17 hrs.
and nothing to show for it *again*, but at least I got to ride after
dark this time. Beautiful country. Took photos, will put them up in
the AM.

Thanks to everyone. Sooo nice, from the kid volunteer who helped me
get Aries down at the 2nd trot & go to the ambulance driver. Much
appreciated!

Now, if I have to not get the buckle I'm at least going to lay in a
warm bed and pity those who are out there still trying to earn it.

More tomorrow.
Angie
--- Begin Message ---
I can't believe there have only been 2 pulls so far in the OD 100!

I'm an Angie fan! I'm so sorry she got pulled! Man that's a huge bummer!

I'm still trying to find out if my brother completed the 50 today. I can't get a hold of him!!!! I don't want to go to bed til I do!!! lol

Good luck Flora with those pictures! And good luck to all those 100 milers still out there!

It's now 12:15 a.m.

Kyle

See what's free at AOL.com.

--- End Message ---