[RC] [RC] New Sweet Feed - Patti

From: "Teri Hunter" < teri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC]   New Sweet Feed

I got really excited when I read your post.  Then I looked to see where they
sell it, CA & NV.  I am in FL. I am in the process of looking on line right
now at the different feeds available.  I love Seminole Perfect 10 but my
mare prefers a pellet.  I am on a search for a good pelleted feed that does
not make me reduce my dinner to mac and cheese.

If anyone who is in the SE region that feeds a good 10% pelleted feed with
all the fixings for endurance horses, please let me know.  I was looking at
Strategy, reading up on it, also Ultium.

Hi Teri -

Look at the Spillers/Seminole "Safety 1st Performance Pellet".
Has a pretty similar profile as the feed Don described, plus Seminole has an excellent reputation for quality.

Would need to feed approx 4.5lbs/day for a 880lb horse to ensure meeting the daily requirement for vitamins/minerals. It actually has a good level of vitamin E (better than most feeds) but, if you're in a low selenium area, might be not enough Se (would only supply .6mg in 4.5lbs of feed). I would also want to add a little flax (just 2-4 ounces/day) with this. If you feed less than than the recommended feeding rate (0.5-1.25lbs per 100lbs body weight), would suggest adding a general iron-free supplement (at a smaller dose to make up the deficit).

You'd have to feed approximately the same amounts of Ultium (4lbs/day) or Strategy (5lbs/day). The Seminole product is higher fiber/lower fat than Ultium, about the same as Strategy.
Any "quality" pre-mix feed is going to run around $2/day (unless you underfeed, then why bother.)

"Straights" - beet pulp, oats and a quality supplement can probably be done for half that. If the protein quality (amino acid profile) of the base forage is questionable, then adding split peas, whey protein isolate or soy meal from a feed mill or alfalfa pellets can improve protein quality, or you can add just an amino acid/BCAA supplement if the crude protein is adequate. You have to weigh cost vs convenience and how much time you want to invest in a learning curve. But feeding straights has the advantage of keeping a stable vitamin/mineral level while adjusting calories/fiber (beet pulp) and energy/carbs (grain) to overall condition and varying work loads.

A  high fiber/low carb pre-mix feed might leave your horse a little flat on carbs on heavy training/race days with slower "between works" recovery. But a higher carb feed might have him/her too high on light work/rest days and susceptible to tying up. If you use a high fiber feed to maintain a base, you have the option of "feeding the work" with extra carbs (grain) during and following work and lowering/eliminating it on non-work days.

Just some food for thought.

Patti K
Vail AZ

--
http://PergolideAction.blogspot.com
~ There are no Magic Bullets in Equine Nutrition ~