[RC] OD 2nd insta. 30 mile start - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

Good morning! Well this must be the OD. As of 5:30 AM it was 67
degrees and 88% humidity. The air felt cool but you still had a film
of dampness?can?t tell if it?s sweat or just moisture from the air.

It got light really early. I hadn?t really planned on making it up
for the start of the 30 since we were up really late trying to get
everything settled, but I woke up at 5 and felt like it was late. Had
time to make coffee and watch the neighbors saddle up, then walked up
to see the start. Just the little climb up into camp had me dreading
Jody telling me to get off and tail Saturday. I?m getting really good
at this dread thing.

The gnats stay up late and get up early around here. I ended up
putting on my reading glasses to walk just trying to keep them out of
my eyes. Made for a blurry sort of disorienting hike but worth it.
I?m trying to figure out how to make a Citronella necklace.

No incidents at the start of the 30. Everybody still mounted when
they left camp?at least the ones that started out mounted. Lynne
Gilbert walked by leading a young horse she?s starting. Surprisingly
few Arabs in the 30. Many gaited, a few ponies, a mule, A Moyle-Arab
cross that reminded me of Frank Farmer?s old Teddy Bear on a smaller
scale, and a lot of horses & riders I could easily picture Fox
Hunting, which I?m betting they also do. Quite a few very thick-
bodied horses but they started very slowly. Didn?t look like anybody
planned to blow it out. I think they?ve got a lot of respect for the
weather. One of the ride officials was reminding them they have a dry
8-mile loop. I figured, ?Why depress them??

Paul Sideo from Missouri who posted to RC Monday is doing the 30 on
his Fox Trotter. Tried to get a photo but it blurred badly. He?s
entered in the 30 today and the 50 tomorrow, but said that if he
feels good after today he?s switching to the 100. He plans to ride it
Cavalry. He blamed me?said his wife saw that cartoon in my book with
one guy working his butt off and the other who?s all clean and kicked
back saying, ?Honest, all I did was say, ?Bet you couldn?t do it
Cavalry?. J

They?re still calling for the storms to hit around 4 PM. It
says ?scattered? and there?s Lightning Warnings. Just realized that?s
probably about when we?ll be having the ride meeting, at the crest of
the hill under a huge tent with metal poles. >shudder<  The present
forecast has the showers clearing out by 7 AM Sat?which means between
warming up at 4:30 and 7 I?ve got plenty of time to get nice and wet.
What the heck, if you?re drive this far to do find a good hit
of ?discomfort? why not start wet?  Forecast for the start is 68% and
81% humidity. I remember an article in Equus years ago that said if
the temp & humidity add up to 150, don?t ride. Lucky for us that?s
just 149!

Biggest talk in camp on the hill is that somebody has a fan that can
run 72 hrs. on 9 D batteries. Somebody could sell a few if they
wanted to deliver.

I've sent in a few photos of the start of the 30.

Angie